Networking is a big part of business, especially when it comes to growing your own. Entrepreneur came up with 5 Steps to Seriously Improve Your Networking, and they’re a lot simpler than you’d think.
- Mindset: Relationships are not work! If you go in thinking that these conversations are for work, you’ll seriously be lacking. Instead of thinking this person is going to be a business contact, think of them as a potential friend, and find something you have in common!
- Destination: Make a plan! This is where goal setting comes in. Where do you want to be 5, 10 years from now? What do you want to accomplish? Figure that out, and then you’ll figure out the kind of people that will help you get there.
- Map: You know your destination now, right? Well, now it’s time to make it official and write it down! That means write down your goals, and for each goal, write down three potential friends that are going to help you reach that goal.
- Building a Human Connection: Here’s where networking as we know it comes in. Remember, this is a potential friend, so how does one build that genuine connection? By asking insightful questions, by paying attention, and by remembering that better questions receive better answers.
- Super Connecting: The final step is just helping other people connect! Introduce one of your new friends to someone you already know! That way, you’re creating an inner circle of the people that you know can help you reach your destination!
Voila! Now get there and practice those new skills!